Plated Truss Lateral Frame

Here’s a good question for a Friday afternoon:

I’ve got a client with a 4-story commercial building.  He wants to build it with exterior wood bearing walls (steel beams and columns on the interior), but he’s not giving me enough room for shear walls.  He wants to use a system he’s used before, which is a plated wood truss frame.  They are apparently much cheaper than Simpson shear walls.

The design consist of me putting the loads on the plans and elevations, the truss manufacturer designing the trusses and connections, (floor, roof, and frame), then me approving the shop drawings.

The question is, what seismic “R” value should I use?  While not designed as a traditional wood shear wall I am going to specify wood exterior sheathing, which would imply that R should be 6.

---

Jason Kilgore

Leigh & O'Kane, LLC

Kansas City, Missouri