RE: Pocket door in a wood shear wall

Joe,
Let's go to the core of a shearwall - it isn't simply a component, but
rather a sum of the components. My advice would be to use a narrow
proprietary shearwall on one side of the pocket door and to use the header
above the pocket door to drag the load from the diaphragm down (by use of a
pony or cripple wall, nailing to the diaphragm or connection to a drag truss
and then the assumption that the foundation is sufficient to connect the
narrow shearwall (like a 12" wide or 18" wide Hardy Panel) and resist the
OTM.

This goes on my list of ways to juggle the code rhetoric in order to make a
non-shear wall into a shear-wall. So far I have seen shear walls with
windows, shearwalls with plumbing and now shear walls with pocket doors. At
least it's not my stamp on those plans and Joseph, I hope it is not your
stamp either.

Best Regards,
Dennis

Dennis S. Wish, PE