Re: Calculation Software

>It takes a full
>sheet or more to do a single beam calc, and a readily available sheet for
>wind loads prints out on 7 or 8 pages.
There's another thing you can do with Excel, and that's merge the
calculation results into Word documents which mimic manual calculations.
I do this with ASME Code calculation very conveniently. The merge
documents themselves go into reports which show the numbers for people
who need help doing the arithmetic and they're a lot more compact and
easier to distribute. I'm doing some bracket design calculations right
now the same way, and I find with a little care I can re-use the sheets
with very little editing.

The real decision to make is whether the actual math manipulation is more
work in your particular case than communication and presentation of
results. If your math is elegant involving things like iterations and
matrix manipulation, you'f probably do better with math oriented software
like MathCAD. If your math is simple but the reults need to have some
polish Excel calculations with results merged into a Word document is a
pretty good choice.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw