From: Paul Feather [mailto:pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net]
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 2:51 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Software maintenance

Jason,

We are up to 2005 now, though few people are using the latest version.

The program is currently voluntary, as is the maintenance program for the
major analysis companies.  But voluntary is a selective word.

We were at a large AutoDesk marketing / users seminar and this is the way it
was explained to us:

Yes, subscription is voluntary.  However with the retirement of 2000i things
are changing.  Subscription will include program updates and new releases.
The support for past releases and ability to upgrade at a reduced rate is
going to be on a shorter time table.  If you wait a few more years and fall
outside the ever shortening curve, then you will pay full purchase price for
the newest version even if you are a previous registered user of an older
version.

How voluntary does that sound?  Either you subscribe and maintain current
software or look at losing your option and having to pay big bucks to get
back in the loop.  We opted for the controlled outlay of maintenance
subscription.

This is not much different from some of the major analysis software
companies.  Maintenance / upgrade agreements are voluntary, but if you fall
behind then you look at full price to become current again.  Not
particularly voluntary depending on your point of view.  We actually reduced
the number and variety of programs we will use in some areas and upgraded or
selected new programs in others to try and make a commitment to particular
vendors and control our update costs and procedures while maintaining a
comprehensive state of the art analysis suite.

Paul Feather PE, SE
pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net
www.SE-Solutions.net