Re: Static vs. Simplified Static design

Dennis,

First, you are still confused on drift.  There is a calculated drift, a
maximum inelastic drift, and an allowable drift.  Calculated is from
analysis, maximum is an amplified form of the calculated, and allowable is
based on story height.  Maximum must be less than allowable.

As far as the rigid diaphragm for wood framed structures is concerned, I
will go out on a limb and state that I think rigid diaphragm analysis for
wood structures is simply un-realistic.  Unless you have a clear case of a
rigid blocked diaphragm on flexible cantilevered columns or something
similar it is a complete crap shoot to think you can perform a rigid
diaphragm analysis with any hope of accuracy.  Why do you think there are
strict limitations on when a wood structure can be designed using rotation?
And yet on the other hand we are supposed to analyze the structure for
rotation?  Calculating the stiffness of wood shear walls with the code
formulas and the multitude of out dated assumptions inherent in their use is
a waste of time.  If you end up within 20 or 30 percent of the actual
behavior I would be impressed.

A PROPERLY DESIGNED AND DETAILED wood system based on flexible analysis is
perfectly acceptable and will in my opinion perform better than the most
rigorous supposed rigid analysis solutions.  I could force a structure to
"distribute" load to areas I have adequate wall and go light on areas where
I do not have adequate walls using a rigid analysis, but I would not design
a wood structure this way for the same reasons I don't believe a rigid
diaphragm analysis is valid.  Using a rigid model I could direct virtually
all the load to a three story hall line and not worry about all those pesky
openings on the exterior walls, but in my own mind I could never justify
such a design.

The static design approach has no dependence on a flexible analysis.
Paul Feather PE, SE
pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net
www.SE-Solutions.net