RE: Calculation Software

The biggest problem with Excel is that the formulas used in the cells are
not visible, whereas with Mathcad "what you see is what you get". When I do
an Excel spreadsheet, I type in a representation of the formula being used
in an adjacent cell - I consider this essential, so that anyone viewing the
printed spreadsheet can understand exactly what it is doing. However, there
is no guarantee that the actual cell formula exactly matches the formula I
typed in.

Here, Excel is the most popular calculation program, but we are looking at
expanding our use of Mathcad due to its ability to reduce hidden errors. The
biggest problem I have is that it takes me too long to develop the initial
template for even a simple design, since I am a relative newcomer to using
Mathcad. I'm sure once I've used it for a while, the time effects will
improve, but there will always be some time commitment in getting that first
template developed. (I know that it will save time in the future, but I
don't always have the extra time to spend "now".)

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311