From: Paul Feather [mailto:pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net]
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 4:41 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Static vs. Simplified Static design

Dennis,

First, you are still confused on drift.  There is a calculated drift, a
maximum inelastic drift, and an allowable drift.  Calculated is from
analysis, maximum is an amplified form of the calculated, and allowable
is based on story height.  Maximum must be less than allowable.

As far as the rigid diaphragm for wood framed structures is concerned, I
will go out on a limb and state that I think rigid diaphragm analysis
for wood structures is simply un-realistic.  Unless you have a clear
case of a rigid blocked diaphragm on flexible cantilevered columns or
something similar it is a complete crap shoot to think you can perform a
rigid diaphragm analysis with any hope of accuracy.  Why do you think
there are strict limitations on when a wood structure can be designed
using rotation? And yet on the other hand we are supposed to analyze the
structure for rotation?  Calculating the stiffness of wood shear walls
with the code formulas and the multitude of out dated assumptions
inherent in their use is a waste of time.  If you end up within 20 or 30
percent of the actual behavior I would be impressed.

A PROPERLY DESIGNED AND DETAILED wood system based on flexible analysis
is perfectly acceptable and will in my opinion perform better than the
most rigorous supposed rigid analysis solutions.  I could force a
structure to "distribute" load to areas I have adequate wall and go
light on areas where I do not have adequate walls using a rigid
analysis, but I would not design a wood structure this way for the same
reasons I don't believe a rigid diaphragm analysis is valid.  Using a
rigid model I could direct virtually all the load to a three story hall
line and not worry about all those pesky openings on the exterior walls,
but in my own mind I could never justify such a design.

The static design approach has no dependence on a flexible analysis.
Paul Feather PE, SE pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net www.SE-Solutions.net