Re: Importing .dxf files in SAP2000

Did you try exploding/dropping your polylines/complex surfaces back to
simple lines and surfaces? SAP should work, even if it is a little tricky.

If you really need to import some serious geometry from CAD, you could try
ANSYS, ADINA, or one of the more high powered general purpose FE packages.
You save the file in IGES format, and import the geometry into the FE
package. The software will then let you use this geometry to create mesh.
This software also offers a lot more in terms of analysis capabilities. I
know that ANSYS comes with special rubber material for instance. This is an
industrial strength solution to a serious problem if that's what you need.

Michael

             "Anantha Narayan
             C.K."
             <anant_27@yahoo.c                                          To
             om>                       seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
                                                                        cc
             07/13/2004 11:44
                                       Re: Importing .dxf files in SAP2000

             Please respond to
             <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.or
                    g>

Thanks much for ur symapthies.

My emails to CSi have brought out responses that have
not been of any help. They just restate what is stated
in the help documentation in SAP2000.

I guess I will have to figure out some other finite
element analysis software to do this job for me. I am
trying to model a torus of rubber ( and this is
another problem as modelling rubber can be tricky in
SAP)

are there any suggestions ?

thanks much
Anantha

=====

ANANTHA NARAYAN
Graduate Student
Structural Engineering and Materials (SEM)
Virginia Tech,  VA - 24061

Messenger - sooooo many all-new ways to express yourself
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com