From: mludvik(--nospam--at)hardesty-hanover.com [mailto:mludvik(--nospam--at)hardesty-hanover.com]
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 4:37 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Truck Design Loads

Rich,

How big of a truck would you like to design for exactly? Highway bridges
designed to AASHTO are normally designed for an HS20-44 truck, the details
of which are below:

Front axle: 8 kips
Middle and back axle: 32 kip each
Front - middle axle dimension: 14'
Middle - back axle dimension: variable 14' to 30'
(Ref: AASHTO  16th edition, Allowable stress design, 1996, Section 3)

If you would like to design for an HS15, simply multiply all the loads by
15/20, or if you want to design for an HS25 multiply by 25/20.

Michael Ludvik, PE
Hardesty + Hanover
New York

             richard lewis
             <rlewistx(--nospam--at)juno.co
                                       seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
             07/12/2004 02:32                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Truck Design Loads
             Please respond to
             <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.or
                    g>

I am designing a floor framing above a service pit for automotive work.
Mostly the pt will be used for cars but the owner said he will occasionally
pull in big motor homes and tractor trailers.  Can somebody give me the
wheel or axle loadings for tractor trailers?  The owner said to expect the
trailers to be fully loaded.

Thanks.

Rich

The best thing to hit the Internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the Web
up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up
today!