RE: Calculation Software

One problem with concatenation is that the result is text. So, if cell B3
calculates to 1044.33333333333333 even though you have the cell formatted to
read "1,044", you will see the actual number in all its glory in your
string. To fix this, you have to format the text string something like this:
Text(B3,"#,###") which will give you "1,044".

There's another neat feature which I find better than the round function and
that is the ceiling function. Suppose you are designing a pad footing and
you want the results to end up in a certain increment of a foot. My
preference is even inches so that the dimension off of centerline of the pad
footing is not a fraction. If the calculation results in a pad footing size
of 3.56 feet and is displayed in cell B3, what I want to see in the results
is 3.67 feet in cell C3. To do this, I use the ceiling function like this:
C3=ceiling(B3,2/12). The second number is the increment above the value
which I want to display. If I want to round down, I would use the "floor"
function like this: D4=floor(B3,2/12) which would result in a footing size
of 3.5 feet. You can use this feature to design fillet welds to the next
16th of an inch very nicely (as well as a slew of other items).

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
ALLEN DESIGNS
Consulting Structural Engineers
http://www.AllenDesigns.com