RE: Firewall Connection

> …. Even if the fire is far from the actual fire wall it could

>pull the wall down by melting the beams of the frame, or even

>the column on the other side of the frame. …

I’m collecting some information from my fire-expert colleague Farid Alfawakhiri that I’ll post in reply to the original question. In the mean time (and sorry for picking a nit here), I think it is important to recognize that “melting” is not the proper term here. Steel undergoes a reduction in strength and stiffness similar to that undergone by all materials when exposed to fire conditions. In the location of an intense fire, you can also get some pitting of the surface. But I cannot conceive of a fire condition in a building in which you could actually transform steel into a molten state.

Charlie