  From: Derek [mailto:derekh(--nospam--at)krahn.com]
  Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 11:40 AM
  To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
  Subject: Firewall Connection

    Hi Folks,

    I had a brief search of the archives for this topic but had no luck in
finding any assistance.

    I have a situation where I need to design a firewall (not fire
separation) between an existing freezer building (steel frame clad with
insulation panels) and a new processing facility. the firewall will be
constructed in between the insulation panels of the existing building and
the steel framing of the new building.

The building is in Vancouver BC which most of you know is a high seismic
zone. The dilemma is how to connect the fire wall to the new steel frame
such that collapse of the building doesn't cause collapse of the firewall
and yet still support the wall by the frame and roof diaphragm under seismic
loads. Any magical connection out there that can achieve this? My brief
search of the archives returned some mention of melt-away anchors, however,
the possibility remains that the fire is remote from the wall (say on the
next row of columns parallel to the wall). This could still cause the
building to collapse without the opportunity for these melt-away anchors to
weaken.

    My other question relates to the existing building. For those familiar
with the NBCC or BCBC. Does the existing building need to be tied to the
firewall? My understanding is that the intent of the code is simply to
supply a wall that remains standing in the event that either building
collapses. In essence, for the pure purpose of a firewall, it does not have
to be tied to either building, it can be free standing.

    any assistance is greatly appreciated.

    Derek