RE: Static vs. Simplified Static design

Bill,
You certainly are more of a statesman for political correctness. Dick
doesn't deserve it here and I for one, resigned as a member of SEAOSC two or
three years before he was president. I resigned when the "torch" for state
presidency was passed from John Tripp to Ron Hamburger and I was handed a
large envelop of e-mails, letters, transcripts of meetings and other
documents from engineers concerned with the effect of the 97 UBC provisions
for light-framing would have on a practical level and asked, by John Tripp
and Ron Hamburger, to "deal with it." One of the packages inside the
envelope was from Arnold Bookbinder, SE who took a great deal of time to
write his comments and opinions for consideration by the Code Committee and
send them to John Tripp where they remained - unopened.

I was also "goaded" into participating on the BSSC TS-7 sub-committee that
drafted the Residential Building Code. Once involved (I was an independent
member of the committee and did not represent a material association or
industry advocate) I suggested that we have a method of expressing or
communicating with each other as most of us could not make it to committee
meetings around the country. When I offered to create a private list for the
committee, Phil Line (AF&PA) summarily reprimanded me for setting up the
list and letting others on the committee know that it was available IF BSSC
would allow me to use it. I was told to shut it down and that if I had
comments on the code drafts I could write them to Phil and he would submit
them to the Committee members. Essentially, there was no dialog or means of
communication between members between committee meetings held at different
locations around the country.  I was also told that the BSSC planned to
provide a private List for their members and it would be coming soon (at a
circular file nearest you). Needless to say - it never did become a reality,
the drafts were like snowballs rolling downhill and picking up steam on
their own with the backing of the NAHB and BIA (and AF&PA). Now I don't
blame AF&PA at all, but it was a bad call by Phil Line who essentially
prevented open communication between professionals who did not have the
resources or time available to participate in a committee.

We go, now, to NCSEA's Advocacy Committee that Bill Polhemus, myself and a
few others wanted to participate in. NCSEA paid the price to set up a long
distance conference calling between members but as Bill found out - and
virtually most of those on the committee that represented small offices or
light-framing concerns, there was not enough time to prepare for and do the
amount of work on these sub-committees which met over conference calls once
every three months (or it might have been once a month).

It seems to me, as I've said before, that there is an on-going dialog here
on the SEAINT List. If you can't get to the committee meetings, then the
committees should be revised to work closer with the online community.
Richard Hess has participated on this List for a number of years and I would
be very surprised if he was not already sorely aware of our concerns as to
the practicality of the code. He chooses not to do anything about it - and
in my opinion, this is the case.

My reasons for starting this thread was to obtain an opinion as my
observation of other engineers work shows that there is a lack of
understanding or a confusion as to what the intent of the code is. In my
opinion again, the intent of the code committee is to do whatever it pleases
and leave the potential liability to the practitioner. Can I state it any
clearer than this.

Spam Away!!

Dennis

Dennis S. Wish, PE