Re: CMU Retrofit and Rehabilitation - Help

Because the use of the building as you have described it is not changing, many jurisdictions would not require an upgrade.  You will need to contact the jurisdiction in which the building is located to see what their rules/policies are.

The closest thing to a seimsic retrofit code is probably FEMA 356 and 357.  These are not codes, but they are frequently accepted as a basis for retrofit design.  ASCE 31-03 and its basis, FEMA 310, are a good place to look for evaluation guidelines.  Again, these are not exactly codes, but they are widely accepted.

As far as masonry-specific references go, I don't have any personally outside of the FEMA series.  If no one else chimes in with anything, you may want to consider a trip to the local university's library.  If they have any kind of civil engineering program, I would expect them to have some books and/or journals that would have a few tidbits in them.

Good luck.

Paul Crocker, PE, SE

>>> <ASQENGG2(--nospam--at)aol.com> 07/15/04 11:46AM >>>
I have a project that is about 30 years, CMU, two story office building here
in California.   The upper story walls are partially grouted while the lower
walls are fully grouted. The bulding has been abandoned for couple of years and
now the Client want to use the building again (same office building). The
Client wants the building to be checked for current seismic code. I have
questions that I hope someone on the list can answer.

1.    Is there a code or guideline for retrofitting CMU building similar to
concrete tilt-up   buildings?

2.    If there is, is the owner required to comply such retrofitting code?

3.    If I want to fully grout the existing partially grouted masonry,  what
is the easiest way to do it?

4.    Is checking the diaphragm required?  There is no alteration or addition
of the existing structure and there is no change in use.

5.    What other areas I need to consider in retrofitting the building?

6.    Are there available books and references in retrofitting masonry
buildings?

7.    The bad thing of all this is there's no plans or drawings of the
existing building. Is it recommended to do some destructive testing to find out the
size of reinforcement?

I have done concrete tilt-up and solid masonry retrofit but not yet on
partially grouted building.

Thanks for your help in advance.

A. S. Quilala Jr., P.E.