  From: ASQENGG2(--nospam--at)aol.com
  To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
  Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2004 1:56 PM
  Subject: CMU RETROFIT

  I have a project that is about 30 years, CMU, two story office building
here in California.   The upper story walls are partially grouted while the
lower walls are fully grouted. The bulding has been abandoned for couple of
years and now the Client want to use the building again (same office
building). The Client wants the building to be checked for current seismic
code. I have questions that I hope someone on the list can answer.

  1.    Is there a code or guideline for retrofitting CMU building similar
to concrete tilt-up   buildings?

2. If there is, is the owner required to comply such retrofitting code?

  3.    If I want to fully grout the existing partially grouted masonry,
what is the easiest way to do it?

  4.    Is checking the diaphragm required?  There is no alteration or
addition of the existing structure and there is no change in use.

  5.    What other areas I need to consider in retrofitting the building?

  6.    Are there available books and references in retrofitting masonry
buildings?

  7.    The bad thing of all this is there's no plans or drawings of the
existing building. Is it recommended to do some destructive testing to find
out the size of reinforcement?

  I have done concrete tilt-up and solid masonry retrofit but not yet on
partially grouted building.

  Thanks for your help in advance.

  A. S. Quilala Jr., P.E.