3Xs at Abutting Panel Edges

I’m sure this topic has been discussed many times, but I would like to readdress it.

A client has asked me if he can use 2-2Xs instead of one 3X. He has provided me with APA Report T2003-22. I’ve created a detail and a link to that report at:

http://www.allendesigns.com/SWPanelJoint.htm

For those of you with a little time on your hands, I would appreciate it if you would review the detail and let me know if you think this detail is code compliant. Using a literal interpretation of the code, it’s pretty straightforward. It says a “single 3X” member at abutting panel edges. For the life of me, I can’t see why two 2Xs face nailed together wouldn’t be as good (I think better because of improved edge distance). Now, APA has a report that has tests which seem to confirm my belief.

Thanks,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

http://www.AllenDesigns.com

V (949) 248-8588