Re: 3Xs at Abutting Panel Edges

I've accepted the APA tests also. My detail uses box 16d at the same spacing as the panel edges (including the stagger at less than 6" o.c.). I 've also made a detail showing how to stagger nails (& they still get it wrong half the time). Given the nailing problems, I spec 4x at all tiedowns & panel edges. The gang nailing gets used as a repair when they use a 2x instead (in which case it become three 2x nailed both ways at the panel edge.)

On a separate note. Has anyone made a detail of the APA narrow shearwall portal frame? APA's detail is hard to read & even a little weird (triple bottom plates, no outboard top straps to the header, a single anchor bolt as shown,...). Can Tom Skaggs gives us any insight on this thing. I did let someone use it once but concluded that it just a lot easier to spec Simpson or Hardy panels ( & probably no more $ for the builder who needs one or two).

Chuck Utzman, P.E.

Bill Allen, S.E. wrote:

I’m sure this topic has been discussed many times, but I would like to readdress it.

A client has asked me if he can use 2-2Xs instead of one 3X. He has provided me with APA Report T2003-22. I’ve created a detail and a link to that report at:

http://www.allendesigns.com/SWPanelJoint.htm

For those of you with a little time on your hands, I would appreciate it if you would review the detail and let me know if you think this detail is code compliant. Using a literal interpretation of the code, it’s pretty straightforward. It says a “single 3X” member at abutting panel edges. For the life of me, I can’t see why two 2Xs face nailed together wouldn’t be as good (I think better because of improved edge distance). Now, APA has a report that has tests which seem to confirm my belief.

Thanks,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

http://www.AllenDesigns.com <http://www.allendesigns.com/>

V (949) 248-8588