RE: 3Xs at Abutting Panel Edges

I'll address two comments in one e-mail:

1.)  The report that Bill references was used as justification to make
changes to the 2003 IBC.  The wording basically allows 2-2xs to be used
in lieu of a 3x where panels meet on a common vertical member (i.e. not
bottom plates).  For those that use the IBC, look for it in the
Supplement to the 2003 IBC or the 2006 IBC.  For those of you in
California -- sorry about that, I was hoping your new governor would
straighten the code mess out.

2.)  Our portal frame detail is based on a detail John Rose developed
circa 1989.  We conducted cyclic testing on John's original concept, and
show the detail exactly how it was tested.  Essentially we didn't want
to be accused of making recommendations on one thing and test another.
I agree that there are some oddities with it (i.e. triple bottom plate)
et cetera.  I hope we'll be able to provide an "optimized" portal frame
detail at some point in time.  But our lab schedule is fairly busy so
don't look for in the near future.

Tom

Thomas D. Skaggs, Ph.D., P.E.
Senior Engineer