RE: Need a referral

The only real area to look for an engineer that is close enough might be Grand Junction Colorado. Green River is too Small and there is little to the South. However, this is one of the most beautiful spots in the United States and while I have not been back there in many years, I miss the river trips down the Colorado, the hikes up in Arches national Park and my Mitsubishi 1985 Mirage trip up the Shaffer Trail in Canyon Land – yes I made it to the top even though there was a lot of stopping to move rocks. Gosh, I wish I could take the job, but it’s off the beaten path for me lately. The closest I would come is the Four Corners area possibly Mexican Hat area.

If you haven’t been there – try. It can be a great working vacation as Moab is exploding the last time I heard. If you don’t know much about this area read Desert Solitude by Edward Abbey who passed away a few years ago. Before the Glen Canyon Dam was constructed, Abbey wrote a series of books starting with the Monkey Wrench Gang that attempted to stop the flooding of the canyons. I spent time in Escalante – a distance from Moab, but part of the Mormon History as they moved their Prairie Schooners down 50-mile road (that became Hole in the Rock) where they blasted a hole through the sandstone and lowered their wagons, horses and supplies down the canyon walls to get to the other side of the Escalante River.

This is the country for dreamers and those who love the desert solitude!

Dennis

PS. What about Neil Moore who is living a few hours north of Moab in Utah – however, it is one of those “you might not be able to get there from here as this is pretty desolate (albeit beautiful slick rock country). Look for his posts on the list for his e-mail address. I don’t know if he has traveled down south for a while, but anywhere south of Green River is my favorite area – he can have everything to the North :>)

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer

Structural Engineering Consultant

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net