Re: Firewall Connection

> From: "Hassan Lashari" <hlashari(--nospam--at)fwsgroup.com>

> I am working on a agri-industrial facility in Canada. This big =
> industrial facilty is about 200'X80' and about 100ft high.
>
> Where this facilty ends on one side, a ware house has to be provided. =
> size of the ware house is 80'X75' and 24 feet high.
>
> A 2 hour fire wall has to be provided between this ware house and =
> industrial facilty due to fire catching properties of material to be =

Sounds like an F3 class (high hazard) adjacent to a F1 (low) or F2
(medium). Can you classify both structrues as F3 and reduce the fire
separation requirements? See Table 3.1.3.1.

Talk to the owner about the insurance company's requirements.

> NBCC 3.1.8.1 (page 38) says that " any wall, partition or floor assembly =
> required to be a fire separation shall

1) except as permitted by sentence (2)

> be constructed as a continuous element

(see Appendix A), ..."

> IBC 2003, 705.6 " Vertical Continuity. Fire wall shall extend from the =

As I recall, your project is in British Columbia. IBC will have useful
additional information but has no legal standing with the building
authority. The BCBC is based on the NBCC model code but has differences
beyond part 4 (structural) that will influence your fire rating
requirements.

Also, as Daryl mentioned, you should have a copy of the User Guide /
Commentary to Part 4 for Commentary M (4 pages).

NBCC Appendix A

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International