Re: New wood floor in existing masonry building - ties required at 4' oc?

Title: New wood floor in existing masonry building - ties required at 4' oc?
Scott: I would say no.  The 2nd floor is dependent upon the wall for support, not the wall on the 2nd floor.  WRT you your email on vehicle impact, UBC/IBC requirements protect the driver  not the barrier.  I think that this was added resultant to an accident in a Seattle parking garage.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2004 6:18 PM
Subject: New wood floor in existing masonry building - ties required at 4' oc?

Anyone:

IBC 1604.8.2 and IBC 1620.1.7 and IBC 1620.2.1  prescribe that masonry and concrete walls shall be anchored to floors and roofs that provide out-of-plane support. The code indicates ties at 4 feet maximum and that wood ledgers cannot be used in cross grain bending.

I have a situation where a new second floor is being built inside an existing masonry building.  The floor framing is supported on new interior stud walls and on furred out stud walls installed around the interior side of the exterior masonry walls.  The new second floor diaphragm is braced by the existing exterior masonry walls.  The connection to the existing walls is a bolted ledger and there are none of the prescriptive perpendicular anchorage ties provided.

Does the code require the ties for this condition? The roof appears to be already designed to brace the top of the existing masonry walls.

Thanks.

Scott M. Haan P.E.
Deputy Building Official