From: Mark D. Baker [mailto:shake4bake(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2004 8:03 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Rigid diaphragm question

I have a two story building, roof construction is wood framed, floor construction is concrete, 1st and 2nd story walls are concrete.

I am considering roof diaph. flexible, floor diaph rigid.

When distributing floor lateral loads based on rigid diaph analysis,  would it be appropriate to bring the roof lateral forces directly down to the 1st floor walls added to the floor forces determined from rigid diaph analysis, or should I consider the roof level forces to flow into floor diaph and then be distributed to the 1st floor walls, ie: add roof and floor level forces and distribute the total based on rigid diaph analysis at floor level.

It seems the floor diaph would be more rigid than the 1st floor walls so the forces coming down from roof would first flow into floor before going into 1st floor walls.

Comments please.

TIA

Mark D. Baker

Baker Engineering