From: Haan, Scott M. [mailto:HaanSM(--nospam--at)ci.anchorage.ak.us]
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2004 2:07 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Rigid diaphragm question

Mark:

I would do the roof first - figure where the center of reactions was for the roof forces and impose the roof shear on the second floor diaphragm at that location.

The problem with the method portrayed in most text books for rigid diaphragm analysis by hand is that they use buildings are proportionate twisting structures.    If you are doing it by hand there are going to have to be simplifying assumptions no matter what. The problem is that the stiffness at a level along a grid depends on everything that is under it on the grid in a non-proportionate structure.

 Most small residential wood buildings are non-proportionate.  How do you trace the accidental eccentricity from floor to floor for a multistory non-proportionate twisting structure.

Scott Haan