Re: Light Gage Truss / Top Track Detail

Personally, I don't trust the wall framers to know where the truss mfr is planning on placing the roof trusses. With hips & turns & other shenanigans in the roof, the truss layout I provide my client rarely matches the shop drawings inch for inch. I usually add a heavy top track for 24" o/c roof trusses, and a HSS top plate for 48" o/c roofing. I've seen the L detail, but worry about applying finishes over the L due to its thickness. The HSS detail has caused some annoyances when it comes to passing MEP through to the attic space, but there is usually a workaround (often routing the offending wire or vent through an interior partition. It sure beats getting a call when a 48"o/c, 60' span truss with fireproof cementitious sheathing gets set right in the middle of a stud bay.

Jordan