Re: Joints in concrete floor slab on bar joists

Bill:
Thanks for adding your comments on the slab question.  I have had suggestions to epoxy fill the cracks and continue to use the floor as an unreinforced slab.  My opinion is the same as yours that the metal deck is only slabform and not suitable for carrying more than the concrete.

If the concrete cracks and has a large storage bin leg sitting on it, there could be a big problem.  The floor in question has mixed use - from conference room and offices to a hard parts storage area.  I see no other solution than to remove and replace the slab.  The joists are not heavy enough to support another slab over the existing.

Long term liability makes the solution simple.  Anyone willing to certify and accept responsibility for this slab, please send name and insurance information.

Thanks for all of the responses.

Dave Smith
Smith Associates
Gainesville, GA