From: Jordan Truesdell, PE [mailto:seaint(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 5:47 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Light Gage Truss / Top Track Detail

Personally, I don't trust the wall framers to know where the truss mfr is
planning on placing the roof trusses.  With hips & turns & other
shenanigans in the roof, the truss layout I provide my client rarely
matches the shop drawings inch for inch.  I usually add a heavy top track
for 24" o/c roof trusses, and a HSS top plate for 48" o/c roofing.  I've
seen the L detail, but worry about applying finishes over the L due to its
thickness. The HSS detail has caused some annoyances when it comes to
passing MEP through to the attic space, but there is usually a workaround
(often routing the offending wire or vent through an interior
partition.  It sure beats getting a call when a 48"o/c, 60' span truss with
fireproof cementitious sheathing gets set right in the middle of a stud bay.

Jordan

At 08:22 PM 7/19/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>We currently have an ongoing in-house discussion regarding the following
>issue and would like to see opinions from others on typical construction
>practice:
>
>Light gage roof trusses spaced at 24" on center.
>
>Load bearing perimeter light gage stud walls, studs typically at 16" on
>center.
>
>1) Do you beef up the top track of the load bearing stud wall to span the
>load from the trusses over to the studs where they do not align?
>
>2) Do you add in a stud under each truss that does not align with the normal
>16" wall stud spacing?
>
>or 3) Do you attempt to have the wall studs spaced at 24" on center (where
>the contractor must coordinate alignment with the roof trusses).
>
>We appreciate any responses on this issue.
>
>Thank you,
>Doug

Jordan Truesdell, PE