From: "Clifford Schwinger" <clifford234(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 11:30 AM
Subject: RE: MARKETING: A Little Brain-Storming, Please

Bill,

Don't get your hopes up. My experience has been that
most of the architectural profession is not interested
in this topic. The Philadelphia chapter of the AIA
holds a weekend conference every fall where seminars
are provided on a variety of topics of interest to the
profession. Each seminar is presented more than once
in order to minimize scheduling conflicts between the
different presentations. I submitted a proposal to
present a seminar (all seminars are presented on a
voluntary basis) on the topic "Tips and Techniques for
Improving Coordination Between Architects and
Structural Engineers". Included in the seminar was to
be a lot of discussion on CASE Document 962D. I even
offered the possibility of providing free copies of
the CASE publication to attendees.

I felt that this would be an extremely useful seminar
because it dealt with a topic, which in my opinion is
the most vital issue facing the architectural and
engineering profession today - how to improve
communication in order to produce better construction
documents, minimize field problems and post-project
lawsuits, and make projects more profitable for
everyone involved.

The response from the local AIA chapter was, "Thanks,
but no thanks."

The people who are probably most interested in this
topic (besides structural engineers) are owners and
construction managers. Those parties are the ones who
have the most to gain from projects constructed from
well-coordinated contract documents.  Many architects
are apparently not even aware that there's a problem.

Perhaps if I offered to present this seminar for a fee
of $5,000 I would get a more positive response. I
believe that if the fundamentals of my seminar were
followed, owners and construction managers would
easily realize six-figure savings most projects - and
even larger savings on big projects. Architects also
benefit when projects are successfully constructed
with minimal RFI's and change orders. Their reputation
is enhanced and they eventually would be able to
command higher fees as their reputation grows as one
of being an Architect who can turn an owner's vision
into a successful reality.

The key to all successful building projects is that
the design team has a strong leader who is heavily
involved in the nuts and bolts of coordination between
consultants (usually the architect) and that
communication and the free flow of information between
design consultants be established up front as the
number one priority.

Cliff Schwinger