RE: Assessing fire damage to steel

A simple NDE test that is generally preformed for assessing fire damage to
steel is Hardness.  Hire an NDE firm that has a portable hardness tester.

Here is a link with some good info
http://www.corusconstruction.com/legacy/fire/images/fireres_section16.pdf

Rich

Richard M. Beldyk, PE, CPEng, NSPE, MIEAust, AIT, CWEng, CPE

Professional Engineer - Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Michigan,  New Hampshire,
Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia
Chartered Professional Engineer - MIEAust, NPER
Registered Member - International Registry of Professional Engineers
(USCIEP)
NASP Certified Accident Investigation Technician
AWS Certified Welding Engineer
AFE Certified Plant Engineer

This message is intended for the use of the individual to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited.  If you received this communication in
error, please notify the sender immediately.  Thank you.