Re: Mathlab

I use Matlab extensively in my research work.  I'm not sure how well
it would do for structural calculations, as it is (from my experience)
more programming-oriented.  However, it has extensive features and
great programmability.   It would be at least as good as Excel.
You could easily write programs/scripts that carry out standard
tasks and then chain them together for "complete" structures.

I had my undergrads use it to write matrix structural analysis codes
for their term project when I last taught the matrix methods class.
Matlab's innate handling of matrices allowed them to focus on the
theory of matrix structural analysis without worrying about the
nuts-and-bolts of matrix manipulations.  Also, some of them exploited
Matlab's graphics capabilities to create a GUI and plot member actions.
I was very impressed with their efforts.

Charley