Re: 5/8" Thick WSP Panel Identification Index: 40/20 vs. 32/16

Bill,

See, I knew there was a reason I don't do a lot of wood design :-)

My use of the word "technically" was less than ideal, but the main concept
was valid.  You can specify the heavier panel with lesser span rating all
you want, but for all intensive purposes it does not exist in the field.  If
you specify a 5/8 32/16 rated panel, the contractor will more than likely
assume (i.e. bid) a 15/32 32/16 rated panel.  The UBC and APA may list the
5/8 32/16 panel, but the contractor does not read the same publications we
do and in their opinion it will be considered a specification conflict.  (I
speak from personal experience a few years back.)

I liken this to the odd size tube (oops, sorry, HSS) specifications in steel
design.  The book may list sizes and properties for 7 inch and 9 inch tubes,
and in the green book tubes were listed in 9/16 thickness, but in reality
these pieces simply don't exist without special mill orders.

Paul Feather PE, SE
pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net
www.SE-Solutions.net