RE: Calculation Software

Iteration by circular reference depends on how the program is setup.

Go to Tools, Options and click on the Calculation tab. If "Iteration" is not
checked, then you will get an error message regarding the circular
reference. You can also change the number of iterations. One needs to be
careful using circular references because you can get it to "bomb" pretty
easily (DAMHIK). Save often. You will always have a "calculate" at the
bottom of the screen even if your calculation mode is "automatic".

Another way (less volatile, but more manual) is using the Solver add-in.
Take the non-constrained flag pole equation. You have an initial depth, plug
it into the formula and come out with a required depth. You can create a
formula which is the difference between the two. Using solver, you can vary
the initial depth until the difference becomes zero. This is just an example
of using solver. There are other ways to solve for the depth of the footing.
I don't think Solver installs automatically. If you don't see it in your add
in list (Tools, Add-Ins must be checked), you need to check the box and
install it.

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
ALLEN DESIGNS
Consulting Structural Engineers
http://www.AllenDesigns.com
V (949) 248-8588	 .	 F (949) 209-2509