From: Mlcse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Mlcse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 11:50
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: 5/8" Thick WSP Panel Identification Index: 40/20 vs. 32/16

I thought part of the reason that 5/8" WSP is not produced as 32/16, but instead is produced as 40/20 was economics.  40/20 is a more viable product commercially.  Why would someone pay for a 5/8" 32/16 span rating if they can get 1/2" plywood with the same 32/16 span rating which will cost less than 5/8" ply since there is less wood in the 1/2" plywood sheet. My understanding is that the plywood mills are very competitive and want to maximize the efficiency of the product that they produce...maximum span capability for thinnest piece of plywood...for least cost.  Producing a 5/8" 32/16 plywood sheet wouldn't be very competative in the marketplace

Mike Cochran