puddle welds on lt gauge

Title: Message

Paul:

Puddle welds on steel joists are absolutely no problem and are a normal method of attachment, I am sure you know. But on light gage trusses, I see two problems:

a) Cost. It is much easier, cheaper, and more accepted to just use TEK screws to attach light gage components and deck to light gage. Since light gage truss roofs are often sloped, it is easier to get up there with a screw gun then welding equipment.

b) More importantly, burn through. Since this is easy to do when welding metal deck to steel joists, imagine if the the trusses are lt gage. Light gage is very tricky to weld and we avoid it whenever possible. It usually is allowed at the main connection of the truss to the embed plate or shelf angle, but the gage of the connecting member is at least 16GA and the embed plate is of course hot rolled steel.

HTH,

Andrew

Thanks Charlie, and Jake, but I was actually thinking more in terms of = minimum support thickness for the composite deck puddle welds, not shear = studs.With wide flange shapes the minimum support thickness would not be a = problem, but what about composite deck on joists, or even welded deck =applications on light gage trusses or roof assemblies? I do not see a =minimum in the AWS for light gage welding.What is the practical limit where the welded deck diaphragm values are = still valid, and the welds can actually be made in the field?