Re: Support framing for composite metal deck diaphragms

Paul,

From strictly a welding standpoint I do not believe there is a code prescribed minimum base metal thickness.  AWS D1.3, "Structural Welding Code - Sheet Steel"  allows welding of sheet steel to sheet steel so the thickness can get quite thin (Cautionary Note: any welding of sheet steel requires a very experience and skilled operator).  Puddle welds (AWS Arc Spot Welds) are not prequalified so a WPS qualified by testing should be provided for the anticipated metal types, weld processes, and base metal thicknesses on your project.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Paul Feather" <pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net>

07/22/2004 09:23 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Re: Support framing for composite metal deck diaphragms

Thanks Charlie, and Jake, but I was actually thinking more in terms of minimum support thickness for the composite deck puddle welds, not shear studs.

With wide flange shapes the minimum support thickness would not be a problem, but what about composite deck on joists, or even welded deck applications on light gage trusses or roof assemblies?   I do not see a minimum in the AWS for light gage welding.

What is the practical limit where the welded deck diaphragm values are still valid, and the welds can actually be made in the field?

Paul Feather PE, SE
pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net
www.SE-Solutions.net