Q: Residential Floor Framing [DUMB]

Okay, it’s been a few months since I’ve submitted a characteristically “dumb” question, so let me make up a little for lost time.

[And I apologize if this is a little too “focused” but I can’t determine if any of Dennis’ “Residential” lists is still functioning—sorry Dennis].

I don’t often have the opportunity to do actual FRAMING PLANS for residential, but I have one in front of me now. I must say some of these custom homes are a bit complex floor plan-wise. The one I have now is about 3,500 s.f., and has all kinds of open atrium-like spaces from ground to second floor, etc., stair landings and walkways that are kind of hanging out there in the air, etc.

The designer didn’t seem to worry about bearing walls lining up, either (is that typical these days?) so I’m actually supporting walls on the floors themselves, and it’s kinda hard to see which of them are going to be transmitting roof loads—you mean I actually oughta finish the roof framing before going to the second floor? Do tell!

Anyway, I’m sort of going at this in my customary Attention-Deficit, non-linear fashion, which is kind of how I figure out how things go together. The guy only gave me exteriors and floor plans, so I’ve had to do a lot of surmisin’.

Anyway, the builder is adamant that we stick to No. 3 So. Pine exclusively, which is okay by me, but I’ve got a question about what variable to “hold” and which to “vary.”

I have the following questions (most “dumb” but as always I hope some others will benefit by my willingness to appear a fool so they don’t have to):

1)     In the opinion of the group, what is the priority among depth, no. of plies, spacing and grade when you are specifying sawn lumber floor joists?

2)     How do you allow for different depths, if they vary? Is it better to notch ends, build up ends or just stick to all the same depth of joist because the relative cost is minor compared to the labor involved in notching, providing seats, etc?

3)     What weight to you use for supported partition walls? Can you support them without blocking at the location of the wall?

That’s all I can think of, dumb question speaking, for right now, but I’m sure I’ll think up some others (dumb is as dumb does, after all).

Oh, one other thing: Does anyone have any plans—I don’t care if they are CAD, PDF, anything—that they wouldn’t mind letting me have/look at? None of the “go-by” plans I have from the builder are worth a cr*p, because engineers here don’t typically—NOTE I DO SAY “TYPICALLY”—do a very good job of producing structural framing plans for residential. I want to see what some of you guys are doing because I have respect for your diligence.

If you wouldn’t mind sharing I promise not to “plagiarize,” and I’d also like to send my own drawings to you for “peer review” in return.

Regards.