From: Jason W. Kilgore [mailto:jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com]
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2004 12:22 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Seismic Upgrades

I'm in the very preliminary stages of upgrading an existing military
building for anti-terrorism (AT) and seismic.  It's a 200,000 sq. ft.,
single-story, warehouse-style structure with offices, shipping,
training,
and storage functions.

It's located in a low seismic area (Ss ~ 12%, S1 ~ 6%).  Basically, I'm
helping to determine if it's more cost-effective to upgrade existing or
build new.  I have two questions:

1. I'm familiar with TI809-04, but is there a different publication
covering
"upgrading" as opposed to new build?  Since the project will use MILCON
money, the finished building must meet current codes.  But what do you
do
when the current code says "Thou shall not do this", and it's done on
the
existing building?  Does it have to be torn down, can it be
strengthened, or
can it be justified with as-built calculations?

2. The structure was upgraded for wind loads with cable X-braces within
the
last decade or so.  Unfortunately, the system used a "Chinese finger
trap"
type of connection (common on power-pole guy-wires) with aluminum
twisted
wire cables.  Does this system have ANY reliable seismic capacity?

Thanks in advance for your help,

---
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, LLC