Re: Q: Residential Floor Framing [DUMB]

Bill:

Floor and roof joist are usually designed for the worst span and loading and all installed the same depth. If you question is about a wall above the floor framing we usually put double joist below non bearing walls. If wall is between joist we install blocking @ 16 - 24" oc. Bearing partitions may need a beam below especially if it is a drag for lateral loads.

Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs,  CA