Moment Frames with Slip Critical Shear Connection

All

I've got a steel canopy with moment connections.  It is in IBC SDC C.  I've designed it as "steel structures not specifically detailed for seismic resistance" (R=3).  The moment connection consists of flange plates welded to the column and beam.  The shear connection calls for the bolts in the shear connection to be slip-critical.  I thought this was a requirement for moment connections?  Do the bolts in the shear connection have to be slip-critical?  Contractor is making a stink about it not being necessary.

Thanks for the help.

Tripp Howard

Tripp Howard