From: Carter, Charlie [mailto:carter(--nospam--at)aisc.org]
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 7:28 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Moment Frames with Slip Critical Shear Connection

> ? SDC C ? designed as "steel structures not specifically

>detailed for seismic resistance" (R=3).  The moment connection

>consists of flange plates welded to the column and beam.  The

>shear connection calls for the bolts in the shear connection to

>be slip-critical.  I thought this was a requirement for moment

>connections?  Do the bolts in the shear connection have to be

>slip-critical?

When bolts and welds share load on the same faying surface, the AISC Spec has a requirement that the bolts be slip critical. In this case, the bolts and welds do not share the same load, so that requirement does not apply.

I have seen these connections specified both ways and ultimately it is a decision to be made by the engineer of record. I personally do not think a slip of any magnitude is likely in the shear connection, since that tends to be brought into bearing by member self weight during erection. As a result, I would be comfortable using bearing bolts instead of slip-critical bolts.

Charlie

Tripp Howard