RE: H3LP REQUESTED: Paper on "Structural Design for Residential: A Comparative Study"

From: Brian K. Smith [mailto:smithegr(--nospam--at)bellsouth.net]
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 10:10 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: H3LP REQUESTED: Paper on "Structural Design for Residential: A Comparative Study"

    You say you have no code enforcement in Texas, but what about the TDI and the catastrophic wind insurance program?

First of all, the TDI program is voluntary. Also, it doesn’t require DESIGN, but INSPECTION.

Also, this program just hasn’t worked all that well judging from what I have seen. It turns out that if you look at the records of the PE board, a goodly number of structural engineers, acting as inspectors, have been cited for “negligence” in overlooking some things that violated the code.
The code itself is/was a hodge-podge. It was redundant and poorly written. I may be mistaken, but I believe it has since been superseded by the IRC 2000, which was “adopted” by the state legislature (but not “enacted,” since enactment of a building code can only be done by municipalities; the builders are scared to death of having to abide by the code even in unincorporated areas).

Bottom line: All you have to do is stick some details on the drawings. Even the TDI code is “prescriptive” and doesn’t require structural design.