Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Marine Platform Design

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Offshore engineering of the type you’re talking about is specialized as you say. However, that’s because it is “run” by the Ph.D. types who pretty much control the ball where design for the big offshore rigs are concerned.


However, it is not necessary to go through “all that” where engineering of marine structures other than these large platforms is concerned. I have done it several times, simply using low-cost software (and once, even a spreadsheet representation of some hand calculations found in a very old, 60s-era textbook).


I understand the need for the high-falutin’ big Ph.D. guns where these high-cost VLSes in high-risk areas are concerned. However, I think for other marine structural engineering, just an M.S.C.E. will do ;-).


From: Padmanabhan Rajendran [mailto:rakamaka(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 11:56 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: Re: Marine Platform Design


University of Texas at Austin has a department for offshore structures. It runs short courses every year.  Please check with that department and enroll yourself in appropriate courses. Offshore platform is a specialized area.  You will also require software (STRUCAD, for example) capable of modelling and analyzing offshore platforms.