RE: Drift Requirements

List Members:

I am working on a renovation project. The building is a 3 story residential structure. The project consists of converting the structure to a commercial/residential structure. Project involves both raising the first story (clear story height of 16 feet) as well new addition to the side. The building is long and narrow (25? wide x 100 feet) so that wind load controls design (load perpendicular to the long side). Because the client?s requirement, there are no interior shear walls. The lateral load resisting system consists of a series of moment frame. The question I have for the list is regarding the moment frame drift requirements.

The drift requirement is spelled out in section 1630.9 of the UBC/CBC. However, this equation does not really apply as it includes inelastic deformation, which I do not want to see for wind driven design. The code is silent with regards to drift requirement for wind driven design. How have members of the list tackled this problem?

Gautam Manandhar