Re: Definition of Unstable

> In my opinion, this sentence indirectly refutes the third allegation
>because I consider an unstable building to be a building where the risk of
>potential collapse is imminent.
Think about the term 'relatively unstable' and how that might be
construed. Also give some thought to the fact that the building stood for
a year prior to collapse. The definitions of unstable that you've been
handed all imply something like a pencil standing on its point, which
falls immediately. That isn't the case here. And if you get into the
mathematical definition of stability you risk leaving the jury
floundering in your wake.

I had a case involving an allegedly unstable condition of two mating
parts of a hoist. I tried the college definition of instability on my
lawyer client without any luck whatever. We finally got somewhere when I
had him try to stand a pencil on its point. We also played around with
standing a pencil on the eraser end and explaining that even though the
pencil would stand by itself, it would fall under very small loads.
Sometimes a two-bit demonstration works better than precise techno-speak.

I'll sticking my neck way out because I really don't know anything about
the failure, but judging from what you've said the building was
undergoing progressive collapse. The walls ware slipping out from under
the roof. It sounds to me like the report uses 'relative instability' to
connote slow unrestrained relative movement, like the way a one year old
starts walking, not like elastic buckling. It also sounds like your
engineer wasn't as precise as he might have been with the report and
didn't manage to convey a sense of urgency, even though he sounds bang-on
right. Plaintiff counsel will probably try to make a big deal of that.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw