Re: Elasticity and Plasticity

Okay, I'm usually quiet on these types of things, but I'm going to wade
in against my better judgement.

<soapbox>

There are better ways to address such questions to a large group.
The ideal way is to actually do a little digging on your own *first*,
indicating some personal involvement in the activity.  If a student
comes to me and asks me about "good textbooks on elasticity and plasticity",
I would respond with questions first.  "What books have you already tried?"
"What are you trying to do with the information?" "Have you asked your advisor?" "Did you check the library?" If they haven't done any digging, I tend to let them browse my office library *first*, then send them to the university library for a copy of a text that looks promising to them. However, me saying "this is a good book" doesn't make it a good book for the individual. People learn things very differently and, elasticity and plasticity being fundamental topics, it is critical that they be absorbed thoroughly.

For example, I connected to Carlos' university library, and, after
a bit of futzing with a Japanese font editor, got it to return several
hits on "theory of elasticity".  Including, if I read it correctly (no
guarantee) Timoshenko's text.  I will grant that there is no way to know
if a book is a "good" book, but my recommendation of a good book is prone
to be Timoshenko's 1940-ish edition of Theory of Elasticity, but many
people consider it too mathematically-oriented for an introductory text.
A trip down the stacks in that area might allow him to browse the textbooks
and evaluate whether or not the book is clearly written and sufficiently detailed for his needs. Alternatively, including some comments on
what he has already done in his search for a "good text" would help people
udnerstand what kind of references to suggest.

Suggesting Chris unsub because he favors personal research first
is like suggesting that a research engineer leave their job
because they don't want to spend their time telling new students
something they could have discovered with a little bit of personal time investment.

</soapbox>

Sorry for talking about you in the third person, Carlos. It's just as ill-mannered over email as it is in person.

Charley