Re: FAX software - sorta off topic

Jason,

My office has only one line. As I'm out a lot, I have automatic forwarding to my mobile number, which has voicemail.

In the office I have a multi-function HP inkjet (scan/print/fax) which never receives faxes - only sends. Its a 7110 (I'd get the 7130 if I did it again - it has a duplexer) and it has an automatic document feeder and can scan a stack of calcs to Adobe Acrobat for emailing or archiving as well as faxing.  I can use the HP printer as a computer fax via the print command, just like the built in Microsoft fax wizard.

For incoming faxes, I subscribe to MaxEmail.com for $69 per year.  It offers a fax to email gateway which provides faxes in Adobe Acrobat format for easy archiving.  I can also use it to fax any graphic file on my computer to a third party (There is a charge, but I've never exceeded the "free" allocation). That means I can fax wherever I can get an internet connection, including from my living room sofa or a commercial WAP via my laptop's wireless card.

This may seem rather convoluted, but it is working extremely well.  I only have one voice mailbox to worry about, and its always with me. I have one place my faxes come to (my email) and I can access them from the office or from my webmail if I'm on the road. Outgoing faxes are easy whether they're digital or paper, and I can send digital faxes from my laptop.  If I want, I can internet fax to avoid tying up the phone, and incoming faxes never take up my phone line (I have DSL for internet). If I'm on the phone, the call gets forwarded to my mobile (and then to voicemail).

The multi-function fax/printer has the bonus of scanning multi-page documents at high resolution (fax machines usually top out at 100x200 optically). The only drawback is that my fax number isn't a local call, but it is in the same area code and most folks really don't care (don't look at my website...the number there is wrong).