From: Hui LI [mailto:hli(--nospam--at)maengineering.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 4:27 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Questions about Slab/Column Connection and Detailing (incorrect
subject in my previous email)

Sorry to send this email again.

List members:

I am designing a condominium in seismic zone area. We are using only the
ShearWalls as Seismic/Wind resisting system and not the columns.

Questions are:

1)Should the Slab/Column connection be designed and detailed as a Pinned
connection without considering the moment transferred from slab?

2)The pinned connection will minimize the punching shear stress. But how to
detail the column/slab connection as pinned condition? some technical paper
mentions that closely spaced ties can be placed over a length equal to one
and one-half times the larger cross-sectional dimension of the column (#3 @
3 in.), Is this a common practice? Are there any other ways?

3)Are the columns to be designed/detailed per ACI 2002 Chapter 21,for
instance rebar splice at midheight of the column?

Your response is greatly appreciated.

Hui Li
Projection Engineer