From: Kieran K-S [mailto:kieranks(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 9:32 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: [SPAM] - Re: Definition of Unstable ===>>what SALVADORI has to
say about STABILITY. - Bayesian Filter detected spam

Levi and Salvadori's "Why Buildings Fall Down" is a great lay persons
reference book on structural failures, and it describes many types of
failure.  One chapter is devoted to the effects of unstable soils.
Another deals with engineering and the law.  The appendix contains a
very good description of structural systems.  This chapter mentions a
case in which some houses built on top of a hill of clayish soil came
home to find their homes at the bottom of the slope.

An excerpt on Equilibrium: "A structure not only must be stable - that
is, not be subjected to large displacements - .... it must be in
equilibrium (in balance).  This requirement implies, of course, that
each element of a whole structure must also be in equilibrium so that
the structure will stay together."

I highly recommended book to anyone interested in structural failure
or stability for any reason.  The companion book "Why Buildings Stand
Up" is also excellent.  Many engineers I know have both in their
libraries.

Kieran K-S