Re: seaint Digest for 27 Jul 2004

Does your effective torque really come to much when taking the reaction force times 1/2 the thickness of the girder web? You may be able to show a negligible rotation at maximum loading with 30 minutes of pencil pushing. Alternatively, you could take the same torque and divide it by your bolt-to-bolt spacing or bottom bolt to top flange spacing to get a required resisting moment. The result will likely be one to two orders of magnitude below the connection strength and therefore negligible in your strength calculation while resisting the required torsion, QED.

If someone here can quote you chapter and verse from the AISC, that would even be better (for your stated purpose).