RE: seaint Digest for 27 Jul 2004

Sorry, I read the original post wrong. While it may still be a trivial calculation to show resistance, there are other methods. It might just be a terminology thing, but I'm envisioning a shop welded tab for a field bolted connection. The would induce a larger torsion moment. If the deck above is fastened to the girder, the weld acts in tension or compression as a couple with the floor slab. Counting the weld only puts it into bending (just like a rectangular beam). That's not my favorite use of a weld, but the math will still work.

Depending on the point you are trying to make, there are other options. An L kicker back to the floor above or beam flange is an effective rotation resistor (assuming you don't have a drop-girder soffit). I've done it both voluntarily and involuntarily, and in the latter case I always send angry fabricators/owners back to the source of the "problem".

As an aside, except for state jobs, there are no technical plan-checkers I know of in my part of the country. I don't take state jobs because the pay is lower and the number of hours required is higher due to the checking and review process. Most state jobs I've been on have turned into donations to the State rather than profitable jobs. Don't get me wrong - I've had some good comments come from checkers, but I've spent days of time running down minor code issues for items which are either non-structural or not critical to the performance of the building.