RE: FAX software - sorta off topic

Jason,

As Glenn has point out, a good potential solution is a "Distinctive Ring"
service (if your phone company offers it).  I have used it in the past
(the phone company at my new house does not offer it, I believe).  The
thing to add is that most modern day fax machines and computer fax
software will work with Distinctive Ring service.  In otherwords, you can
set the fax machine or fax software to only answer the line when the
Distinctive Ring is used...for the "regular" ring the phone will continue
to ring until either you or an answering machine pick up.

As others have mentioned, there are "switch boxes" that can differentiate
between a phone call and fax call and then can route the call to the
correct machine.  I will add that IF you decide to replace your old
printer with a new all-in-one printerfax/copier that I believe some of the
all-in-one systems have a built-in switch capability (I believe that my HP
OfficeJet D135 [precursor to the 6000, 7000 etc series] will supposedly do
it...but have never ttried it).

Your other option would be to "upgrade" you fax modem (could only need to
be upgrading the software or the actual card) to also handle the answering
machine function...I believe that many newer fax modem "systems" also
include "telephony" features (i.e. allow you use your computer as a
telephone and voice mail/answering machine in addition to being used as a
fax machine).  I know that my Dell desktop (which is now about 3+ years
old) has answering machine capabilities.  And this would work well as if
you are planning on using your computer as your fax machine, then you are
likely planning on leaving it on all the time so it could also act as your
answering machine.  Then it does all the "switching".  Also, on the plus
side, if you have more than one person living in the house, many of the
fax modems that also act as answering machines will allow you to setup
multiple mail boxes for the answering machine.

Or you could just bite the bullet and pay for an extra phone line! <grin>

Also, FYI, the all-in-one printers/scanners/copiers will generally allow
you to mix traditional faxes (that you run through the fax scanner) and
electronic faxes in one fax message (at least my HP does).  Thus, if you
have a hand sketch that you want to send with a written letter, you need
not first scan the skecth to insert in the Word document of the letter
(unless you want to) to send electronically by fax or print out the Word
document so that you can send it and the sketch by old fashioned fax
methods.

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI